Ever wondered how to wear a lapel pin? Men’s lapel pins can truly add to the entire outfit and can transform it. Nowadays lapel pins have become huge in the trading world, and many men & women are trying to get their hands on some of the rarest pieces. Guys love to wear them for special events, and they feel like a lapel pin can truly add a hint of class to the entire outfit. If you are eager on finding out what these are & what is the right way to wear lapel pins, keep on reading and find your perfect special pin!
What Side Do You Wear A Lapel Pin?
Lapel pins are worn on the left side of your jacket, next to your heart. These usually represent an organization of some sort and are a symbol of achieving something in your lifetime. You can find pins in fraternity and sororities, as well as in some schools. The point of the pin can also be related to your country. It can represent where you are from, and that you are proud of your background. In this case, some guys love to wear a pin of their country, or whatever it is that they can relate to their home hence why they wear it as close to the heart. This is why you often spot pilots wearing a left lapel pin when they are in the sky.
How Do You Wear A Lapel Pin On A Jacket?
Your pin can be attached to your jacket, coat, blazer, or your suit. This pretty much depends on the fabric that you have on top. You can’t really wear a pin on a regular shirt, and only true gentlemen will (traditionally speaking) wear a lapel pin. Your lapel pin is worn on the north side of your pocket square. It is crucial for the pin to be attached to your suit with a back clasp. This clasp will keep the pin in place during the day and no matter your activities.
In fact, here are some of the most popular attachments for your pins:
- A stick pin: this is a typical & pretty common attachment which is used for the pins and on top of the suits. It looks vintage & formal and is usually a go-to for men who need formal wear. You will wear it with its thin needle which you will slide up and down over your coats or jackets to release or hold the pin. You can scratch or stab yourself with this pen, therefore be very careful when placing it down.
- Butterfly clutch: this clutch is used on smaller lapel pins. This is because the back is very sharp & pointy as well as attached to the pin. You can easily operate it when your butterfly is squeezed and you let go of it to stick the pin.
- A magnetic clasp: this is a pretty self-explanatory clasp which uses 2 magnets to hold your pin. This is the best way to wear a lapel pin without actually creating any holes in your clothes. However, sometimes it doesn’t provide a stronghold. This means that you should go for it only if you are planning on being outside the house for a couple of hours.
- Screws & nuts: this is not that common or often, but is a super-secure method for your suit. This is because the point is threaded, meaning that every little screw & nut will hold the pin in place and firmly.
When Should You Wear A Lapel Pin?
Since now you know how to wear a lapel pin and which metal clasp to use for which event, it is time to figure out where you can wear it. There are many different styles of lapel pins, but in most cases, you should wear them when:
- If you are working at a firm/you have a job position which demands to dress up
- You need some classic & classy details for your prom/wedding day
- Lapel pins are often worn by men who wish to stand out at a bar, pub, or at a club
- These can look great if you go fundraising, auctioning, etc
As you can see, this pin is mostly worn with formal wear. Color-wise it can be matched with any and every color or pattern you own in your closet. However, go for black, white, brown or blue, or any other ”typical” and easy to pair-along colors if you want to play it safe. Don’t wear your lapel pin with the most basic pair of skinny jeans and a sweater, rather stick with formal coats, suits and wear them to events that have a specific dress code. Got it? If so, here is our guide on how to wear your pins, the right way!
Top 5 Unique Lapel Pins: When To Wear Them
1. Flower Pin For Weddings
If you need and love a lapel flower or you are a fan of flowers, in general, you will love this design. It is ideal for the wedding season as well as for the groom and is often a must-have for the prom. If you are wondering how to wear lapel pins make sure you choose the right style of ties and go for a beautiful navy suit. Make sure you have a lightweight fabric since your pin needs to stick with ease. The needle in the back won’t work if the material is too thick.
2. Black Fleur De Lis
Men who love formal wear & who need to follow a specific dress code for their events will love this design. Fleur de Lis looks beautiful on the upper half of your suit and once placed as close to your tie, but you can also place it next to your pocket square. When choosing your lapel pin go for this one only if you feel like pairing it up with a stylish watch, and you love to wear something small & petite, yet perfect for the office.
3. Moustache Inspired Stick Pins
If you are quite often on Pinterest you’ve probably seen the meme which goes like: ”I must-ache you this question’, but I’ll shave it off later”, have you? Well, if you are into unusual accessories this lapel pin will suit you. It looks very interesting & unique, and it can be worn as your casual and formal pin. If you need different types of lapel pins and you need something unique purchase this one! Match it with your black or white shirt and you’ll love the outcome. You can also pair it along with a black tie and you’ll love the fit.
4. Butterfly Inspired Left Lapel Pin
Need to complete your pin collection? How about you get a butterfly lapel pin? Women love these soft & feminine additions to the outfit and will think of you as a stylish guy once they see you rocking it. You will also love the look if you go for a light grey butterfly on your black suit. Wear your collar high and don’t forget to button up your shirt for that classy look. Also, butterfly accessories will look amazing with a set of flowers. If you are off to date and you are bringing some flowers with you, know that your date will fancy this look.
5. Skull Lapel Pin
No worries, this sharp skull won’t pierce your suit. It is one of those beautiful & bolder accessories, and it may suit some less formal events. You can wear it with a black tie, and an all-black outfit. Guys who are not into white & casual wear will love this pin. If you are wondering how and when to wear it simply make sure you stand out in your all-black suit. You can wear it to the pub, disco, or when out to a fancy dinner.
On That Note
Well, as you can see, your lapel pin can come in handy if you are trying to pair it up with your boutonniere and for your wedding, or if you simply need some accessories to smarten up the outfit. If you are wondering how to wear them just make sure you never wear a lapel pin on its own, without any formal accessories. Don’t forget a suit & tie, as well as some formal shoes and your favorite dress shirt! Guys who have an office job and who need something sharp for their work hours should read through this article and find something that suits them & their style. Make sure you look sharp while you’re typing your next email, and always throw on a lapel pin when you’re off to big weddings or similar formal events!
Feature image from Pinterest