Wondering how to have better skin? So were we, so we’ve rounded up some of the best men’s skincare products and guidance to revolutionise your morning drill.
Men’s Skin Care Routine
Welcome to a brave new world, a world where male grooming is no joke and should by no means be scoffed at. If your eyes are the windows to your soul then your skin is the brickwork and everyone knows you gotta keep those foundations strong!
We’re going to presume you’re a bit of a male skin care rookie in this case and go from the top. Regardless of your skin type, the fundamentals lie in a quality face wash and moisturiser. You should be wearing moisturiser every day – period. For the man who’s new to this, here’s a simple routine for morning and night to get you started.
- Rinse your face in some warm water with your hands.
- Apply face wash to hands and rub into your face in circular motions.
- Thoroughly rinse again and pat dry with a clean cotton cloth.
- Apply moisturiser over the face, followed by a little SPF (mornings only).
- Compliment this routine with a once weekly scrub of exfoliator before bed.
Identify Your Skin Type
Identifying your skin type is a good place to start before picking up any products. Some men will suffer from dry skin, others have to deal with keeping excess oil at bay. Certain products are more suited to certain skin types than others, so finding your skin type is a fundamental step to get your mug looking its best. Wondering how to get clear skin for men? This is a good place to start.
The sun may be shining but your skin really shouldn’t be – a greasy forehead is never what you want. Men’s facial care isn’t that hard to get your hands on when it comes to an oily complexion. With excess oil production, your main goal here is reducing shine (notably the dreaded shiny forehead) and cutting down on oil production. Check out some men’s moisturisers below that’ll help push things in the right direction.
Tips for Oily Skin:
- Oil-free products are aplenty these days – the Baxter of Califonia options above are a little pricey, but will really help in the battle to keep oil at bay.
- Products with salicylic acid are perfect for oily and blackhead prone skin. They prevent pore-clogging and come in full range from cleansers to moisturisers.
- Make an exfoliator your best friend. Exfoliating is a deep-rooted method of removing dirt and oil-inducers so scrub away! A clay mask every once in a while is another great way to keep oily skin at bay.
- Don’t disregard the humble tissue as a quick fix problem-solver here, a blotting paper is not a dissimilar tool.
Is your skin uneven in tone and texture? Are you prone to rough patches and flakiness? Of course, the answer is to moisturise, moisturise, moisturise! There’s an abundance of men’s face creams geared towards the men with dry skin, lips, hair, etc. Check out some more tips below!
Tips for Dry Skin:
- Before you moisturise it’s very important to make use of a good cleanser, specifically one engineered to help out dehydrated skin. This will allow your moisturiser to be thoroughly absorbed into the skin.
- Using deep moisturising serums or night creams is a great way to add extra moisture into the skin – without the need or worry of shiny or greasy skin.
- Most people with dry skin will often find that their skin is also quite sensitive. Go for moisture rich sensitive options for the best, and safest, results.
- Emollients fill in all the tiny crevices on your outer skin layers, smoothing down the surface. Occlusives sit on top of your skin, sealing in the moisture. Humectants absorb water into themselves and then your face. These are the most effective at really plumping up and hydrating your dry skin.
With few breakouts and a generally even texture and complexion, you’ve got your pick of skin care tricks. Some of the best moisturisers for men will work for most skin types, giving you the best pick of the bunch. Check out a few more tips for caring for your, fortunately, ‘normal’ skin below.
Tips for Normal Skin:
- Don’t preoccupy yourself with the little contents that aggravate your oily or sensitive counterparts. ‘Suitable for all skin types’ is your mantra.
- It’s still just as important to pay as much time and care to your skin as your dryer / oilier skin. Cleanse, moisturise and exfoliate once weekly.
- While you can really take your pick from a plethora of products, it’s best to find a range that works for you and stick to it, as jumping from brand to brand can irritate skin.
Unfortunately, if you’re dealing with sensitive skin you’ll find that keeping things in check can be a little tricky, at the best of times. With varying gradients as to how ‘sensitive’ you can be, triggers can range anywhere from the wrong moisturiser to using hot water – tough, we know. Check out a few more tips on how to care for sensitive skin below.
Tips for Sensitive Skin:
- Sadly, hot water is not ideal for sensitive skin, nor is a good towel scrub – so if these are regular weapons in your arsenal they might be triggering rashes or sore patches.
- When shopping for products, go for those specifically for sensitive skin and keep things as close to natural as possible.
- While this rule applies to all, those with sensitive skin should avoid using too many products at a time – keep your peels, serums, lotions and potions to a minimum.
- You, more than anyone, should avoid parabens in your skincare collection so make sure when shopping you check the ingredients.
This is the most common case for men. You’ll have an ever-changing blend of dry, rough, oily and sensitive bits with the latter usually topping up your T-zone and nose. Stock up on what you feel is the best men’s moisturiser.
Tips for Combination Skin:
- Men’s anti-ageing creams and moisturisers for all skin types are a failsafe way to rehydrate.
- Essentially, you’re dealing with multiple skin types so it’s best to care for it with treatments for the mix. Cleanse and exfoliate to deal with the oil and moisturise properly to sort the dry.
- Most Malin & Goetz products are a perfect match for those with combination skin. Being suitable for all skin types, they provide the perfect balance to all areas of your face.
How To Look After Your Skin Properly
- Be sure to exfoliate once a week, regardless of skin type – it can vastly improve your complexion with little effort.
- Don’t be afraid of using a little men’s tinted moisturiser on your off days – they’ll add a little colour to a tired face.
- Always wear sunscreen on your face, even on overcast days.
- Don’t scrimp when choosing a razor. Technically speaking, it’s a steel blade you’re pulling across your face on the regular – quality is imperative here!
- Do your research and match your products to your skin type – it can really make a difference, like really.
- Eat Clean. While skin care matters, nothing comes close to a good diet and plenty of water – you are what you eat!
On That Note
From ageing foreheads to oily T-Zones, skin maintenance can be a chore and may not always seem like a top priority in everyday life. But now, more than ever, with the endless men’s skincare products and brands calling out to their massive consumer base, there’s never been an easier time to get better skin. Everyone’s skin is different, and there’s no one size fits all method for caring for it. However, a few good tips on dealing with pesky, flaky skin or that oily forehead can go a long way. Simple changes in your male skin care routine can drastically change the quality of your skin for the better.
Feature image from Pinterest