We can all get bored with our style and sometimes new hair colour is just what’s needed to change up your look. If you’re thinking about going blonde, we’ve put together a few tips and techniques to make sure you get it right and avoid some classic pitfalls.
What would I look like with blonde hair? It’s a question everyone’s asked themselves at some point. Find the answer down below!
What To Know About Men’s Hair Dye Shades:
- Platinum – A huge statement, this silver look takes hours to create and then more to maintain. It is a stylish hair color for those who want a bit of dimension.
- Ash-blonde – Less intense than platinum and works really well with lighter skin tones. You can blend this into darker roots that make a vivid colour. Make sure that the color is not brassy when pulled off.
- Copper blonde – Definitely a calmer option, might be worth trying out a copper or strawberry blonde and then moving up to something brighter. It’s like an auburn mixed with a dark blonde that can complement darker skin tones.
Platinum Blonde Hair for Men
Platinum blonde is the ultimate when it comes to lighter hairstyles. When thinking about platinum hair it’s so important to wear it with confidence. Mostly, platinum highlights or platinum hair is done by the right stylist, the one who knows how to do the right transition or the right fade on top of your dark hair. Usually, platinum hair can have a ton of different undertones and can be hard to upkeep.
How to Maintain Platinum Blonde Hair
To keep the colour you’ll have to invest in a purple toning shampoo, we’ve put together a few tips for using purple toning shampoo.
- When buying shampoo it should be a very dark purple and thick, if it’s clear or thin then don’t even bother with it.
- Trial how often you need to apply the shampoo, most people will need to use it every time they shampoo at first and then move on to every other wash.
- If you just have blonde on the ends of your hair or highlights, you only need to apply to the areas that are dyed. It’ll save you some money as you won’t have to shampoo your whole head and waste the purple toner + this is how professionals do it.
- Depending on how tired your hair looks it can be worth leaving it to sit for 5 minutes and work it deep into your hair. You should also use a hydrating conditioner to bring back the moisture.
- Always follow the instructions on the bottle or ask your colourist if you’re worried you’re not using it right.
How to Dye Your Hair Blonde for Guys
If you’re just thinking about adding some blonde highlights to your hair or popping on a light colour then it’s not an issue to just do it yourself. For more drastic options like platinum blonde or permanent dyes, you should always work with a colourist to make sure you do it right. Man’s hair or bleached hair can be tricky on its own, so watch out for different hair textures.
There are a few things to consider when dying men’s hair blonde, the most important is how long you want it to last. Here’s a look at some of the options available.
- Temporary – This will usually only last 6-12 washes and if your hair is already quite dark then it’s probably not the best choice for you. This is a great option for anyone who’s thinking about going blonde but isn’t totally sure what they want.
- Semi-permanent – These will usually last about 2 or 3 times longer than temporary dyes, around 28 weeks. It’s best to give these a go once you’re a bit more confident with the colour you want. If you’re looking to cover up some greys with a blonde then this is a great option for you.
- Permanent – Make sure you know what colour you want first and try some of the more temporary colours first. You’re going to want to have a good chat with your hairstylist about this as permanent options shouldn’t be taken lightly. Get to know your colourist well as you’ll be heading back every 4-6 weeks to re-dye as your roots come through.
How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde
Bleaching hair can leave it more fragile than before, it’s important that when you first apply the dye that it is done on untouched hair.
Before considering bleaching your hair we recommend going to a hairstylist and having a chat. When you make the appointment they’ll let you know if there’s anything else you need to do beforehand to prepare. If you’re set on doing it yourself, make sure you read the instructions very carefully and look for a reputable brand. There’s not much point in wasting money on bleach if it isn’t going to work and just leaves your hair dry and weak.
When handling any kind of bleach always think about your skin, wear the gloves provided and if it makes contact with your skin clean it off as soon as possible. Wear a simple outfit when doing the coloring as well.
Which Colour Suits my Skin Tone:
- Fair skin – platinum blonde or ash blonde can really complement fairer skin tones.
- Medium/ olive – platinum blonde can really work with olive complexion but it’s definitely a risk, try keeping the roots a little darker and blend the blonde in on top.
- Dark skin – look at golden/ copper blondes, dark skin and light hair give really striking results.
How to Dye Brown Hair Blonde
Everyone from Eminem to Mark Ronson has managed to go from brown to blonde and pulled it off. It’s a big step to go from brown to blonde and will definitely get people talking. In recent years, everyone has been giving it a go!
There’s the worry that your hair will turn ginger, if this happens try adding some ash blonde colorant to the roots. To avoid this in the first place, make sure you leave the dye on for long enough Ask your barber for a bit of help on getting that perfect blonde hair color.
Dying Black Hair Blonde
When going from black to blonde you’re going to need confidence more than anything. People are going to be surprised but don’t take their shock to mean they don’t like your new look, it’s just that they’re not used to seeing you so differently. Your new haircut can be a huge trend, it all comes down to you and how you carry it!
It’s not going to be simple, the bleaching process from black to blonde is rarely done in one sitting, you’re going to have to be prepared for it to be bleached 2 or 3 times. This means your hair has to be strong, healthy, and preferably thick. Don’t forget to use a ton of purple shampoo and preferably do this process at a hair salon.
On That Note
There’s no point worrying too much about taking the plunge into blonde hair for men, it can suit every skin tone and means you can try out so many more options. You can see how many blonde converts are out there rocking it right now. Whether it’s platinum or strawberry blonde you want, there are options out there for you and finding a decent colourist is the best first step in making the switch over to blonde.