Van Dyke is often called Vandyke or Van Dyck and is a facial style that was very popular in the 17-the century. It was worn by Anthony Van Dyck (a Flemish painter) and is a popular hair & beard choice still to this day. Interested in some new beard style ideas? Who wouldn’t want a beard goatee named after a painter?! If interested, keep on reading and browse through your Flemish painter options!
Is The Van Dyke Beard Attractive?
Van Dyke beard is a form of beard and mustache. The beard is shaped into a goatee, while the mustache can be done in any way, shape, or form. What’s important and different regarding this beard hairstyle is that all of the hairs on the cheeks are shaved off.
How Do You Make A Van Dyke Beard? How Do You Trim A Van Dyke Goatee? Step By Step Process
- Step 1: Shave your face once a week. However, make sure you have enough of a beard to shape it into a Van Dyke. The easiest way to achieve a Van Dyke is for you to shave your beard in a circle.
- Step 2: Once you shave your sideburns and your cheeks, make sure you have enough hair above your Adam’s apple. Use a trimmer to give yourself a precise goatee.
- Step 3: Cut your mustache if they are touching your lip. Give them a quick trim to achieve the perfect length. Make sure you use a high-quality razor along with some shaving foam.
- Step 4: Use a beard wax to give it definition and shape. Maintain the beard by brushing it upwards and by trimming the ends every week.
Top 4 Van Dyke Beard Looks
1. Van Dyke Beard Style
This Van Dyke beard style just shows you that you can look business-casual while rocking it. If your facial hair is darker and you don’t mind grooming your beard once a week, give this clean-cut a chance. Also, it can look great if you naturally can grow longer & darker strands.
2. Black Van Dyke Facial Hair
Your Van Dyke beard can be short at first, and you can gradually let it grow. This beard style will look great on any face shape. However, if you are a fan of Italian mustache, trim these and style them upwards with a pomade! This is the best look for guys who have slightly curly or wavy beards.
3. Grey Beard Styles Van Dyke
Men who are low-maintenance and who have no time to style their beards will look a lot like this! If you are a fan of messy chin-length beard and you like bushier beard, just let it grow out. The search for the perfect beard for mature men is finally over! Just style this facial hair with proper beard products.
4. Johnny Depp Beard Styles
This Van Dyke beard style along with Van Dyke mustache looks amazing on Johnny Depp! This man can pull off anything & everything, including this not so modern beard style. This Van Dyke beard style is just an example that younger men, as well, can rock the Van Dyck beards.
On That Note
sIf you prefer styles that stand out, and that are not your typical stubborn facial hair looks, be creative, and stick with this style. Beards such as this one are not too hard to style but can be hard to grow out. Make sure you have patience and let your hair grow out to your chin-length! Once it does and you are done with the growth, ask a professional barber to trim it. You will love the outcome!
Still looking for inspiration, then checkout this blog beard ideas.
Need More Inspiration
Feature image from Pinterest